Carpet Care and Maintenance
Here are the facts: No other item in your home absorbs more wear and tear on a daily basis than your carpet, and no other item can impact your home's appearance like your carpet can. ServiceMaster SouthWest recommends that homeowners follow these steps to keep up the appearance of their carpet and upholstery. Also, be sure to review our spills and spotting tips as well as spot removal techniques.
- Have the carpets professionally cleaned at least once a year: A professional cleaner has the equipment and expertise to fully remove dirt and detergent, and will remove most of the moisture in your carpet, something that most rental units don't do.
- Vacuum carpets at least once a week: Up to 80% of dirt in carpets is loose dirt that can be removed with regular vacuuming.
- Use doormats: Keep dirt, and especially sand, out of the house and off of the rugs.
- Protect the surface: Have your carpet fibers protected by a protector such as DuPont Teflon Advanced Carpet Protector.
- Rotate furniture: Premature wear and soiling take place when traffic paths are unchanged.
- Blot up spills: Quickly clean up spills with a dry, clean cloth or a clean towel. Protect the area until dry.
- Avoid direct sunlight: Modern furniture fabrics are usually very resilient to sunlight. However, under extreme exposure, even these show signs of fading.
- Plump up cushions often: Filling lose their ability to bounce back if not plumped up to reshape them. Plumping cushions will help them last longer.
- Rotate cushions often: Cushions not rotated may experience premature and unnecessary wear. To ensure a longer life for your cushions, rotate them often.
- Vacuum: Upholstered furniture should be vacuumed on a regular basis to remove dust and loose dirt.
- Blot up spills: Spills left unattended may set as stains. Blot spills, never rub!
The carpet and upholstery in your home is a major investment. For other tips on carpet care and maintenance, call the experts at ServiceMaster SouthWest, or visit www.AllAboutHome.com.